ACADA

ACADA
BOLD

Saturday 3 August 2013

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH THE HIT-MAKER, SARZ



Edo-State born Music Producer, Osaretin Osabuohien, aka Sarz, is fast spreading his reputation as music’s wunderkind producer with loads of hits to his credit amongst which are Jahbless's 'Jo Oo', Shank's 'Ghetto', Reminsice's 'Kako Be chicken', Wizkid’s ‘Jaiye Jaiye’ featuring Afro Beat living legend Femi Kuti, etc. He was also recently publicly saluted by foremost Nigerian producer, Don Jazzy at the NEA. Listen to the gospel according to Sarz in this interview with Acada Magazine’s Sunday Obembe.

You have well over 70 tracks to your credit how do you feel?
It’s overwhelming considering the fact that from the time I started up till date, I have done well for myself and it’s something that I am proud of and am still ready to do more. It also shows how hardworking pays off. I also have this feeling of how far I have come and how much distance I still have to cover. But seeing the number of hit records is quite encouraging.

How you start making beats?
I have always loved listening to music and also memorise beat each time I listened to them, and a friend of mine who is a producer encouraged me to do it and I just listened to him because I enjoyed it and the first beat I made was so good that I sold it and since then I never looked back because I got the feeling that it’s what I am created to do in life. I decided to consider it a carrer at the point I discovered it was a fun and a source of livelihood which was more like having fun and making money out.
I was self taught, I taught myself music production because of the passion I have for it made me do a lot of research and practice which is eventually paying off.

How did you feel when Don Jazzy handed his NEA trophy to you?
To be honest it was overwhelming and a wonderful feeling for me when a producer like Don Jazzy recognizes and credits me for what I have done, to the point of sharing his trophy with me, really means a lot to and it also serves as a form of encouragement for me to do more.
Don Jazzy and Sarz
Which is your favourite track of all your works?
It’s really hard for me because every track I do I put my all into it and I make sure it comes out the very best way I can make it come out. I like ‘Samba’ ‘Kako Bi Chicken’  ‘Ghetto’ ‘Jaiye Jaiye’ ‘Dance for Me’ and all the likes. Seriously I can’t really say but I like this onces.

What is the inspiration behind the ‘Jaiye Jaiye’ beat?
I was tired of the stereotype nature of all the industry so I wanted to do something different. So I made a beat because I am currently working on my own album, and when Wizkid approached me to come do a beat for his upcoming album I went though it was a very short notice and when I got there we played a couple of beats and when I played that particular one and he voiced on it, it sounded real nice and I just gave it to him.

How do you feel about musicians getting all the credits?
It looks naturally for musicians to get the credit because they are at forefront they doing the songs and people see them when they perform, but lately producers are also getting some recognition and I still feel that if producers can also carve a niche for themselves and be outstanding in whatever they do they will definitely get some credits for their jobs, it has really worked for me.
As a former student of University of Lagos, what was it like?
I wasn’t there for too long not because I didn’t want to, but I had some personal family issues I really don’t like going into and at that point I was already producing music. So I just quit school and face my music production since that’s what I want to do. However very soon before the end of the year I will be going for to Atlanta for further studies in music production. And just to add that leaving school for personal reasons doesn’t mean I am not educated.

What are your plans for the future?
I have a lot on my mind but would not want to let the cat out of the basket. I am currently working on my album and trying to do different stuffs and also striving tirelessly to carve a niche for myself. 

What was growing up like?
Growing up was fun I got most of what I wanted and asked for, way back in 1992 we had a Super Nitendo, though I was very young then, that’s just to say the level we were. My dad didn’t allow us mix and go out of the house, I and my brother used to stay at the balcony and watched other children play football and do other things until we were manned up a bit, we started going out to play and sometimes we got and beaten for disobeying his orders of stay in doors. But I really enjoyed every bit of it.

How do you relate with your female fans and admirers?
 Generally I am a likeable and understanding person, so with the females I try to understand them and I make them feel comfortable when they are around me, but would always draw lines if need be.

What’s your life philosophy and driving force?
 Life is what you make out of it and honestly God and the fact that I don’t want to fail is my driving force.

No comments:

Post a Comment