ACADA

Friday, 23 January 2015

21-year-old student dies after choking on chewing gum while sleeping




A 21-year-old student of the California University of Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania, who was found unconscious in her hostel room, is believed to have choked on chewing gum in her sleep.

Shanice Clark, a communications studies student, was discovered unresponsive in her room around 3am local time on Sunday.

Clark was rushed to the Mon Valley Hospital where she later died.
Police say preliminary reports from a member of the hospital's medical staff suggest that the deceased inhaled a piece of chewing gum in her sleep and choked.

The Independent reports that Clark wanted to become a broadcaster, even though she was a talented athlete on a basketball scholarship.

Cleveland Clunis, who started coaching Clark since she was just 12-years-old, said the sky was the limit for her.

"I felt that even if she finished university, she could still continue on [with basketball] – maybe play overseas or something like that,” he reportedly said.
The late student's friend and teammate, Vayga Clunis, spoke well of her.

“She's the one clapping - always trying to encourage her teammates."
Other friends and well-wishers have taken to Twitter to pay their respects.

No comments:

Post a Comment