ACADA

ACADA
BOLD

Friday 26 January 2018

CAMPUS ICON: LASU HipHop Act, Ola Smallz Aims High


We caught up with one of the HipHop acts making waves at the Lagos State University (LASU) and in this interview with Ololade Fadipe, he speaks on his journey so far into the Nigerian music industry and his plans to establish himself in the highly competitive Nigerian music industry plus his plans for the future.

Can you tell us about yourself?
My name is Layeni Lawunmi James. I am 21years old.  A 300 level, Mass Communication, Broadcast department student at the Lagos State University. I am the second child from a family of four.

What inspires you?
Well let me say the people around me because they have always been supportive and they keep giving me good vibes and they inspire my music too.

What kind of music are you into?
I am into rap and I believe with time I am going to move into other genres of music.

How many rap songs have you done so far?
Personally, I have two songs and I have featured in four songs apart from mine, "Sound It Loud" and "Incase" are the titles of my own personal song. "Roger That" and "Cosa Cypher" are the ones I featured on. The Cosa Cypher had to do with Mass Communication as a whole and had other rappers like Ninquss, Cole, Clint, Black Weeza, Larrysung, e.t.c.


How do you joggle your music career with studies?
I try as much as I can to balance the two. I don’t allow them to conflict because my academics come first and I’m working very hard to come out in flying colours as well as establish my music career too.

Who is your role model in the music industry, international or local?
As my name implies "Ola Smallz", I got the Smallz from the Notorious BIG’s "Biggy Smalls". His songs greatly inspire me.

Where do you see yourself in the nearest future?
I see myself being better than I am right now as there are lots of projects waiting to be done.

Who do you give credit to for your raps as at now?
Let me say God first. He’s been good to me and then my elder brother because he is like my critique. He tells me if what I am doing is worth it or not and if it is not, he instructs me to do it again.

Have you ever performed in any social events in LASU?
Yes I have. I performed twice last semester at School of Communication fresher orientation and an after party for students of School of Communication. Outside LASU, I have performed at different parties and street jamz.

Do you have any advice to give to other upcoming rappers like you?
Yes, they should always keep on working hard and never give up. It may seem hard now but nobody knows tomorrow. Prayer, Hardwork and Motivation are the major keys.
God bless us all, Amen.

By Ololade Fadipe
Intern at ACADA Magazine


No comments:

Post a Comment