ACADA

ACADA
BOLD

Monday 10 September 2012

UNIBEN dominates as Amstel Malta Showtime thrills students


It was a clean sweep for the University of Benin (UNIBEN), as three of its students won all the top prizes at the recently concluded Amstel Malta Showtime 2012 which was held at the Best Western Hotel, Benin City.
The activation was targeted at students of higher institutions in Edo and neighbouring states. It was designed to provide a platform for undergraduates to unleash their creative potentials in singing, dancing and comedy.

The unique variety show, which comes from the Nigerian Breweries PLC., makers of Amstel Malta, saw the students of various universities and polytechnics in the catchment area slugging it out for mouth-watering prizes in the three categories: singing, dancing and comedy competitions.
The winners of the competitions were decided by the audience, via voice votes. The winners in all the categories went home with the whopping sum of N500, 000, a brand new iPad and an all-expense paid weekend getaway for two to Lagos. While the first and second runners-up each went home with N150,000 and N100,000 respectively.
After intense competition, petite dancer, Emuobosan Orogun, Victor Chidiere Ijeoma and Chibueze Madu Daniel, all went home with the fantastic prizes after emerging winners in the singing, dancing and comedy categories respectively.

Speaking after her victory, Emuobosan Orogun, a 400 Level Science and Laboratory Technology student of the University of Benin expressed gratitude to Nigerian Breweries. “I am very happy to have won this competition. I put in so much in preparing for it so I am glad that all the hard work paid off,” she stated.
Interestingly, Orogun is only the second female to have won in any category in all the six editions of Amstel Malta Showtime. “I feel great to be the second lady to have won the top position since the show started. I am sure that my victory will open the gate for more female winners,” she said.
Victor Chidiere Ijeoma, a 25-year-old mechanical engineering student who was voted the best singer of the night, also expressed gratitude to Nigerian Breweries Plc., for giving him a platform to showcase his talent. “I think the most important thing here is the opportunity to show the world what I can do. I am proud that I emerged as the winner but I am also happy at having a unique opportunity like this for me to show the world what I can do,” he stated.
The last winner of the night, Chibueze Madu Daniel who goes by the stage name,  MC Medical, described the night as the best moment of his life. “This is a special night for me. It is the best moment of my life. I can say that my career in comedy has truly taken off with my victory in this competition,” the 300 level Law student said.
However, it wasn’t just a night for the students as raves of the moment, Davido and Naeto C both put up exciting performances before the audience. The event also featured rib-cracking jokes from comedian Buchi while the dance group, Corporate Dancers, completed the lineup of entertainers on the night. The show was anchored by Dare ‘Art” Alade.
Speaking on the event, Adedoyin Owotomo, the Brand Manager, Amstel Malta, stated that the event was conceived to give students of tertiary institutions an opportunity to express themselves. “The whole idea behind Amstel Malta Showtime is to give students a chance for them to display their talents and express themselves.”

No comments:

Post a Comment