Over 100 People injured as Tanker explodes in Ghana
It was indeed a very sad moment when a
gas tanker exploded at a spot near theTakoradi Technical University (TTU)on the Takoradi-Sekondi main road on
Monday with over 100 people sustained various degrees of injury.
The injured, including four firemen, threeMotor Traffic
and Transport Department (MTTD)officials and a newspaper vendor, were
rushed to the Effia-Nkwanta Regional and theGPHAhospitals in the Sekondi/Takoradi
metropolis for attention. The explosion, which occurred about 7 a.m., led to a
four-hour traffic jam and sent defeaning sound waves which reportedly broke louvre
blades in homes some metres away from the scene of the explosion. The tanker,
which belongs toLambark Gas Limited, a downstream
petroleum company in Accra, is said to have arrived in the metropolis yesterday
morning from Tema with about 30,000 tonnes of liquefied petroleum gas (LPG).
According to eyewitnesses, the explosion occurred during the
discharge of gas into the receptacles of GHUMCO for its operation. They
said after the vehicle had arrived early yesterday morning, the driver and the
clerk started the process of offloading the gas into the two giant LPG
receptacles in the yard of GHUMCO without any difficulty. But shortly
afterwards, a smaller receptacle began leaking profusely, which eventually led
to a fire outbreak.Before the outbreak, the officials of the company had
alerted theGhana National Fire Service (GNFS)and
the police to the leakage and the traffic jam in the vicinity.
Shortly after the arrival of the firemen and the police,
they ordered the nearby Total, Shell and gas fuel stations to switch off their
pumps and evacuate. According to the eyewitnesses, in a moment there was
an explosion with a thunderous sound that sent people in the vicinity running
for their lives. Unfortunately, some were caught up in the fire as the fireball
that followed the explosion came down. It took firemen, with support from
personnel of theGhana Navy, the GPHA, theGhana National
Force, less than an hour to put out the fire.