ACADA

ACADA
BOLD

Friday 5 October 2018

YOUNG ENTREPRENUR: I Saved Up To Start My Fashion Business - Funke Olude


Funke Onome Olude aka Phunkifyd is a fashionista, fashion retailer and a trend setter in her campus days at the Moshood Abiola Polytechnic, Abeokuta, Ogun State, little wonder she ended up to be a Fashion Retailer after her graduation from the school. In this exclusive interview with ACADA Magazine, she talks about her foray into the fashion business as well as matters that touches her personality. Except:

How did you become an entrepreneur?
I became an entrepreneur from school days, and then I didn’t even have an idea or interest of opening my own store because I used to sell for my cousin that travels to Turkey then. Then, it was for the fun of it. When I got done with school and before the youth service, I decided to run mine because I started becoming known for sale of fashion accessories on BlackBerry then.

What motivated the decision to become an entrepreneur?
I love fashion.... Oh my my! I love pretty things. Even during my service year, my friends would call on phone and asked me to help them combine outfits. 
What were your initial challenges when you started?
I think it was because I didn’t focus more on advertisement. I was just hiding in one small hole and nobody knew what I was doing. I paid less attention to it so it became a big challenge for the growth of the business.        
                               
             
How did you source for funds to get the business off the ground?
I am a saver. People that are close to me know this about me very well. I can’t save for Africa.... lol. That was my source. 


What are the challenges you’re facing as a fashion retailer?
Competition is really not a challenge but it’s a necessary ingredient in business. Another very major challenge people in fashion business face is the amount placed on cargo! It’s usually the major cost most times. But as a business person I find my way around it. Then the refund and exchange policy can be a major challenge too. On Instagram which is the social network I use in advertising apart from passersby, people don’t get to see the items they are buying, so the sizes and colour due to camera resolution can pose a challenge, and customers wanting to exchange and all that. It’s quite stressful and not too good for business.


 In the face of challenges, what keeps you going?
I think  it’s my passion for the business.
Where  and how do you source for your items? 
I travel and get them from Turkey, China and I place orders from the U.K. as well.

How do you get customers to patronize you?
I post my products on Instagram; which is one big social media you must not joke with. I also do on WhatsApp too.
Aside fashion retailing, are you into other businesses?
I just recently went into Interior Decoration business of which I have had a very big flair for it. For now we just want to go into sale of simple interior pieces and as time goes on, after we’ve studied the market, we will be expanding. 

 As a young person, what is your philosophy about life?
Only the strongest survives.


 Can you share with us your education background?
I had my secondary education at the Nigerian Navy,  Ojo, Lagos. Tertiary education at the Moshood Abiola Polytechnic, Ogun State. Oh yea, I went to a polytechnic! And I later had my Youth Service in Abuja .

What were your memorable times on campus?
I had a relationship then. I think dates and then the exam periods were very funny and I don’t forget them in a hurry. 
Can you define your style?
I switch them ooo! It depends on my mood! Today I wanna stay classy? Tomorrow I wanna stay a bit of classy with a bit of nudity and then some days I want to be trendy for some reasons. Fashion is versatile. But I feel looking sporty doesn’t fit me. Maybe because am bursty.


 Your favourite fashion items.
I love bags. Tiny, small bags! It’s kinda cute and classy. Male perfumes, chain wristwatches that don’t have big names! 
 Your signature perfume(s).
Amouage is heavenly and so many simple unknown names I can’t remember too. I love simple things.

Who are your role models?
They are not popular but I look up to them,  but if I must say, Aliko Dangote.

Who are the stylish people you admire?
I have a whole lot. Kefilwe Mabote from South Africa, former miss Nigeria Sylvia Nduka and actress, Ini Idima Okojie.

What is success to you?
Success is not overnight! Success is consistency and hard work. The keyword is “CONSISTENCY”.


Would you say that entrepreneurship is paying off?
Yea it is, though it has its high and low which is normal. If you’re prayerful and consistent, it would eventually pay off because to me it doesn’t matter the number of people who do what I do, I know I’ll succeed.

You are a pretty lady and an entrepreneur, how do you cope with male admirers? It’s normal but I have a feeling the male counterparts feel it’s every woman that goes into business that sleeps around which I find really disgusting.


What’s your advice for young people complaining about unemployment?
Find yourself! Find what you love to do the most. Take advantage of the fact that you’re young and conquer the world. I have tried working in several outfits before! I found out it just wasn’t my calling. So forget unemployment, find what you are good at or learn a skill and also learn to save. 



No comments:

Post a Comment