ACADA

ACADA
BOLD

Tuesday 29 September 2020

Exclusive Interview With Nollywood Actress, Mimisola Daniels

 

Beautiful Mimisola Daniels is a graduate of Economics from the Olabisi Onabanjo University. She is a scriptwriter, producer and actress who have featured in over 40 home movies including television series and soaps. In this exclusive interview, the pretty and fast rising Nollywood actor Mimisola fondly called Mimi by friends and fans speaks about her journey into the acting world, movie projects, passions and plans for the future.

 

 

How did you get into acting?

I got into it by myself; I have always wanted to be an actress right from my junior secondary school. In 2010 I met someone who talked to him and persuaded him to allow me follow my dream. The person featured me in my first film. It was in 2010. Later, I met Toyin Abraham (Toyin Aimakhu), with whom I worked for about a year and half before I registered with Dele Ogundipe, where my real acting actually started.

Were your parents in support of your chosen career when you first started?

My dad was never in support at all because he felt it was going to affect my education, but I had to join without his consent because acting is something I really wanted to do. He’s my biggest fan now though.

 

So how has the journey been so far?

It hasn’t been easy at all, distractions, frustrations here and there, I actually almost gave up at some point but thank God it’s been encouraging lately.

 

 

Starting out as an actress and later gravitating towards producing your own movies, you seem to have raised your game to enviable heights, how does it feel?

The truth is when I started I just wanted to be an actress with little or no experience but I later redefined the exact thing I wanted. I can’t change my industry I can only change how I play my own game and thank God I’m getting there by the day.

 

 

What were the challenges you face when starting out?

Being an upcoming act isn’t easy but I feel it’s not always easy when starting out on any job so I wasn’t really bothered but stayed focus.

 

How many movies have you starred in so far, and how many have you produced yourself?

I’ve appeared in some couple of movies and I have produced 6 movies so far. Namely Ewu, Inioluwa, Mother’s Wish, Ranti Mi, Surface and Veil

 

What’s your take on the allegation of sex-for-roles usually leveled against movie producers and directors? 

Well I don’t think anyone would force you to do what you don’t want to do, I can only speak for myself! As long as you are not desperate and you know what you want, I don’t think such would happen to you, but I definitely would not have sex for roles!! 

 


Has any director demanded sex from you in exchange for a role?

Hmmm! Maybe indirectly I don’t think it’s evitable. 

 

How do you choose the movies you star in?

It used to be any movie then, but now I am very selective, I will rather sit at home than go for production of movies that has no meaning.

 

How long does it take you to get into a character and possibly get out of it?

While reading the script and I discovered that it’s a very interesting and touchy story, I usually get into characters almost immediately. 

 

Many movies are now produced in Ibadan, what do you think is responsible for this?

I don’t think so, but I find my own production easy in because that’s where I reside. 

 

People still believes Lagos is the entertainment capital of Nigeria, and without them relocating to Lagos they can’t be giving due recognitions or hit the spotlight. Are you planning to relocate to Lagos too?

I use to have that believe too then but not anymore. Yes Lagos is the entertainment capital of Nigeria but I don’t think it applies to the movie industry, the actors ruling the Yoruba sector doesn’t to live in Lagos and you can be anywhere and create a niche for yourself, we have a whole lot of people in Lagos who are not even close to doing well. It’s  highly competitive in Lagos.

 

What is your growing up like?

My growing up was fun! I wasn’t born with a silver spoon but my parent made sure we didn’t lack anything.

 

 

Your family background and education.

I’m from a family of 6. We are 4 boys and 2 girls. I went to Staff School, University of Ibadan then had my secondary education at Queens School, Apata, Ibadan, though I had my SSCE at Genius Royal Academy. I later proceeded to Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye where I had my Diploma in Industrial Labour Relationship and B.sc in Economics.

 

Your experience again. What was it like during your campus days?

School was really full of fun for me. I read well and had enough fun.

 

What is style to you?

To me, style is anything that makes you look good and comfortable 

 

What is or are your favourite fashion items?

I love shoes and bags.

 

Your signature perfume.

I’m a flirt when it comes to smelling nice so I don’t have a specific one. I have different perfumes I use at various times.

 

Are you into labels? Who are your favourite designers?  

No I am not. I put on anything that looks good on me.

 

Do you have a particular beauty regimen?

No, I don’t, though I rest very well when I have such opportunity.

 

Your favourite beauty products.  

I go for any products that suits my skin and work for me.

 

Where do you consider to be your favourite holiday spot?

It can be anywhere, I love travelling so maybe when I have more money I’d go for holidays in different places around the world

 

When not on location or working, how do you relax?

I feel more relaxed when I’m at home. I just lounge.

 

Do you watch your movies?

I really do, because I am always my number one critic.

 

So do you criticize the movies you starred in? Maybe see something you thought you could have been done better.

Yes I do! Anyone closer to me can testify to this, I always criticize my movie so it can help me do better in my next job

 

How long did it take before you get accepted in the industry?

Hmmm I’m I accepted still? Maybe yes, maybe no! But I definitely know my work will speak for me, it’s no brag but I feel I am trying my best.

 

Which movie will you say gave you the BIG BREAK?

I don’t have a big break yet but I think my last movie SURFACE did. It had great reviews. It’s an evergreen movie.

 

Aside acting, are you into some other form of business?

 Yes. I sell fabrics (Instagram: mdfabrics_) and also I sell accessories (Instagram: @blingsbmimi)

 

What inspires? 

Things happening around me greatly do.

 

 

You have been able to stay off controversies and scandals, what is the secret?

I mind my business and don’t do more than myself.

 

Are you a romantic lady?

100% I mean very romantic. I would have asked you to call my boyfriend to confirm but I remembered I don’t have one. Lol! 

 

What do you look out for in a man?

I can be a little bit selective but I definitely know what I want when I find the right person.

 

Can you date someone in the industry?

I don’t think so. If I find anyone who is worth dating, maybe I will give it a shot. But never say never because I am a very jealous person.

As a celebrity, how do you handle male fans and advances from men?

It’s not been easy as no one is above temptation but with the Grace of God, I have been able to keep my head up and stay true to myself.

  

What production are you currently working on and what should your fans expect from it?

I just finished my new movie production titled VEIL and it’s definitely a story we are all going to learn from.

 

What advice can you give to young people looking up to you as a role model and those that might want to take up acting as a career?

Believe in yourself and don’t be desperate for anything, with handwork, consistency and God’s Grace you will achieve it. It’s not always easy but someday, your perseverance and consistency will pay off.

 

What are your dreams and aspiration?

I want to be a better person and to be the best at what I do! I also want to carve a niche for myself especially in my field.

No comments:

Post a Comment