NAB Lifts Admission Ban On Methodist University College
The National Accreditation Board (NAB) has lifted the ban imposed on the Methodist University College of Ghana (MUCG) on the admission of fresh students.
The move follows the university’s compliance with the directive of the NAB to withdraw 1,465 unqualified students from the university.
The Executive Secretary of the NAB, Mr Kwame Dattey, who made this known to graphic.com.gh Monday, said the lifting of the ban meant that the MUCG could now go ahead to admit new students.
The NAB, in April this year, ordered the MUCG to withdraw more than 1,000 unqualified students it admitted to various degree programmes.
The order was as a result of an audit inspection conducted by the board at the university which found out that some of the students who were at various levels were admitted with only proficiency certificates in Computer Studies and other courses.
Others had not obtained grade C6 or less in one, two or all three core subjects of Mathematics, English and Integrated Science or Social Studies in the WASSCE.
The NAB, therefore, ordered the university to withdraw the unqualified students, failure of which it should not advertise for new students.
The MUCG later indicated that it had complied with the directive of the NAB and, therefore, asked the board to lift the ban.
The Principal of the MUCG, Rev Prof Samuel Adjepong, noted that the university had written to the NAB to notify the board of its compliance with its directive.
Mr Dattey confirmed receipt of a letter from the MUCG complying with its directive, hence the decision to lift the ban.
He said in the next few days, the board would continue with the auditing of the other university colleges in respect of the qualification of their students and lecturers.
In November 2010, the National Council for Tertiary Education (NCTE) issued a directive that tertiary institutions should not admit students with grades D7 and E8 as a means of raising the standard of education in the country.
Earlier in February this year, 695 unqualified students who were admitted by the Central University College (CUC) to pursue various degree programmes were withdrawn for not meeting the requirement for admission.
The Ministry of Education waded into the matter, warning that tertiary institutions that did not follow the applicable entry requirements to admit students would have their accreditation revoked.
Consequently, the ministry directed the NAB to publicise, in consonance with the Tertiary Education Accreditation and Establishment Regulations (LI 1984, 2010), the applicable entry requirements to all tertiary educational institutions in the country.
The ministry said those affected universities that had admitted unqualified students should organise, at their expense, remedial classes and register them to sit the relevant examinations.
The CUC and the MUCG have complied with that directive of NAB.
Mr Dattey said the board would soon advertise the entry requirements for tertiary education.
He said the requirements set by the board were not new and that it had continuously educated the universities on those requirements.
He said it was true that private universities were playing an invaluable role in the educational sector but insisted that the right thing must be done.